Those who know me know I used to do quite abit of development in c# using Microsoft’s XNA platform.
Well I like to check back in every now and then with some of the big players in the community to see what’s going on.
One of those players is Catalin Zima, who is famous for producing many great shader and effect samples.
One of Catalin’s reccent project particularly caught my eye however as I had tried to tackle the same problem several years ago when I was in my final year of university. That is, Dynamic 2D Shadows Calculated on the GPU (https://mikecann.co.uk/university-projects/shadowshader-in-rendermonkey/)
Catalin’s approach to the problem is far more elegant that my brute force iterative approach. He uses a clever technique of distorting the desired casting image about the light in such a way as not to require iterative pixel lookups.
If you are interested in the more details in the technique I encourage you to check it out over on Catalin’s blog: https://www.catalinzima.com/2010/07/my-technique-for-the-shader-based-dynamic-2d-shadows/