New Hosting, New Theme!


In what appears to be an almost annual event I have decided to move hosting of my blog yet again! Im moving away from the £35 per month hosting of 1&1 because although I like the freedom of having my own box that I can remote into i’m just finding it too expensive for me to justify having it. There are so many Platform as a Service (PaaS) options out there that provide high quality hosting cheaply I thought I would switch over.

Last year Google announced that you can now host WordPress blogs on Google App Engine so I decided to take the plunge and set it up. It turns out that its not actually that hard. The hard part came with the fact that this blog is 10 years old now and contains 426 posts. That means a huge database that is not easy to import into a new provider. Fortunately this post came to my rescue, in the end it only cost me $0.88 in instance backend time to import the whole thing.

So now I have my blog hosted on Google App Engine, I moved all my content over to Google Cloud Storage too so its all hosted on Google’s Edge CDN network for super fast access, nice! I am currently running in the free tier for everything except for the Cloud SQL server which WordPress unfortunately needs so that means i’m paying $11 per month for that. Not bad considering that it used to cost me on 1&1 and I get all the nice Google features such as backups, redundancy and infinite scaling.

At the same time I thought I would tart the site up a little and bought a new theme. This time I went for a theme called Feather from Suitstheme which I rather like! Let me know what you think in the comments.

The Mystery of the Missing Disk Space


For ages now I have been plagued with missing disk space. No matter how much space I freed up it always seemed to disappear but finally I have managed to solve it!

I have 120gig SSD drive which should be enough for me to run Windows and a few key apps no problem however it seemed to fill up all the time without me installing anything.


This lack of space was having a big problem on my machine, I couldn’t open more than a couple of programs at once, things were crashing oddly.


I tried everything to make more space, deleting the few apps I had installed on the drive, running disk cleanup, even disabling the hibernation and pagefile systems (really not a good idea). Still to no avail.

Thats when I noticed something odd was going on. I only have 8 root folders on the drive:


So I right-clicked and inspected the properties of each:


Hang on… Those sizes dont total up to be 106gig.. Infact they are only 43.04gig, what’s going on here? Because im an old-school windows user I thought it may be fragmentation issue so I ran defrag, nope no where near enough space freed up there.

Thats when I decided to use a program I had used to years, TreeSize free. This app is supposed to show you where your drive is using its space. But no, it too was reporting that only 47gig of my drive was being used.. Weird!

In desperation I downloaded another app called SpaceSniffer which was supposed to be very similar to TreeSize. I ran it and encountered a whole load of access denied error messages, so I re-ran it as administrator (i’m not sure why you have to do this when you are on an Admin account anyways) and:


Whats this? 64.8 gig being taken up in my c:windowstemp directory? Specifically a load of 2meg MSI****.LOG files! Here is my missing space! I opened the temp folder and sure enough here was the culprit


But what on earth are these things? Opening one reveals:


Hmm they looks like .NET log files, strange. I have no idea what is producing them and Googling has no clear answer. It seems safe to delete them and I have done so, so for now that solves my problem. If they come back ill have a deeper look into what is producing them.

I hope this helps other people that may be having similar issues!

All my mixes in one place

Latest Artificial's Cloudcasts on Mixcloud

Over the years I have put together quite a few mixes. At first I hosted them here on my blog then later moved them to soundcloud. Unfortunately Soundcloud is getting far too expensive these days to host mixes so instead I have moved them all over to Mixcloud where they are hosted for free.