August 2014 Posts

Mr Nibbles 3D Development 08 – New Models and Shaders

Mr Nibbles 3D Development 08 – New Models and Shaders

Its been a little while since I have had any time to work on my new game Mr Nibbles 3D but i’m happy to be back developing again. I have conscripted a friend of mine to do the artwork for the game and he has been busy over the last few weeks coming up with some new models of the game.

Check the image above to see his render of Mr Nibbles with his corn ‘nibbles’ or checkout the video below where I show off some new things:

Note this is just a first pass of the models so the animation quality should improve a lot soon, also we are working on a roll animation for when Mr Nibbles moves fast.

The pipes are a first pass too but im hoping to emulate plastic hamster tubes such as:


I’ve still got quite a bit more work to do on the shaders but I think we are getting there, let me know what you think!

North Western Australia, Winter 2014

North Western Australia, Winter 2014

Well I have been back for over 3 weeks now but only just got round to uploading the pictures and videos from my 3 week trip up north. I had an absolute blast exploring some of the more remote Australian countryside.

This was the rough journey we took:

From Bunbury to Broome was 4 days in a car with Kelsie and her parents. We stopped off at a few beautiful spots along the way:









We even managed to make it over to Dampier for a quick photo with the Red Dog statue:


Once we arrived at Broome we met up with Kelsie’s Brother Trent and his Fiancé Emily who live up there and spent a few days chilling out around the beautiful area:






After a few days we were off again, this time two cars; Kelsie, Myself, Trent and Emily in one and Kelsie’s parents and their friend in the other. Our route took us along the Gib River road (a dirt road inaccessible for part of the year) all the way to our destination of Kununurra. Along the way we stopped at nice spots:






Once at Kununurra we had a few days to explore the spectacular landscape:






After just a short time we hit the road again and headed back to Broome, we took the highway on the way back so it only took a couple of days. This gave us more time to spend in Broome again:








And then it was all over! Kelsie and I flew back to Bunbury while her parents drove the car back.

I had an awesome time ‘up north’ exploring more of Australia, I cant wait to see more of it in the future!

Post To Tumblr 5

Post To Tumblr 5

Almost exactly 6 months ago I released Post To Tumblr 4 and today im proud to have pushed the 5th version of my popular Chrome Extension to the Chrome app store.

About a week ago Tumblr decided to change its security model which meant that my 34,000 ish users were now stuck. Unfortunately to get PTT to work required an entire rewrite of the way I handled users and posting to tumblr. Under the pressure of from tons of emails from angry users every day I set to work restructuring it all.

Now with version 5 users must authenticate with my backend:


Then they can add one or more tumblr accounts to the PTT account:


Which then seamlessly integrates into the app:


The backend authenticates the tumblr accounts and stores the oauth access keys so that it can make calls to tumblr on the user’s behalf in the future. Its a much simpler system than I had previously, and it allows for multiple tumblr accounts which has been requested many times in the past.

The backend is built upon’s cloud service. Its pretty much a hosted node.js environment but I really like it because its really fast and easy to work with and has a very generous free tier 🙂


I wrote the entire backend using Typescript which compiles down to JS which runs on parse, so that means that the entirety, client and server of Post To Tumblr is written in Typescript. A great feeling and utility as it allowed me to share code between the client and server.

I have an almost complete type definition file now, surprisingly it isnt actually available on DefinitelyTyped but when I get round to it ill upload it myself.

In addition to the backend changes I totally restructured most of the client to use requireJS for nice modular JS loading. Im much happier with the structure of the client as a result and it feel less like guesswork and global-variable-spaghetti!

I hope my users enjoy it!